Rocky Mountain is launching a new next generation Dyname 4.0 drive system in its new Instinct Powerplay and Altitude Powerplay E-mountain bikes. Rocky Mountain is one of the only bicycle manufacturers to produce its own drive unit and they seem to be taking it to the next level. Look for a long term review in an upcoming issue of Mountain Bike Action and check out the details in Rocky Mountain’s press release below.
Introducing the next generation, Dyname 4.0 drive system.
The Dyname 4.0 drive system is powerful, delivers high torque, and is long-lasting. That means faster climbs, punchier acceleration, and a larger, removable battery helping to ensure that you get more out of every ride. Designed in Canada, we’ve kept the same massive power as our previous generation drive system, but fit it into a smaller and lighter package.
The Dyname 4.0 drive system delivers power in a responsive and natural way, giving our bikes the best e-bike ride feel on the market.
Reduced size and weight
- The Dyname 4.0 motor is 18.5%
lighter than the previous generation, Dyname 3. 0
- We’ve given our motor a weight reduction while also increasing reliability. The Dyname 4.0
motor features oversized bearings for increased drive durability.
A quiet drive system
- The Dyname 4.0 features a lower motor rpm that reduces the amount of the electrical whine compared to other systems.
- We’ve removed the upper chain slider that was seen on the Dyname 3.0 drive system to reduce the mechanical noise, as well as the drag when pedaling.
Torque & Power
- The Dyname 4.0 drive system packs the same 108Nm of class-leading torque that the Dyname 3.0 brought to our previous generation of bikes.
- Our drive system has 700W of peak output, meaning that more watts are delivered when you really need them.
A responsive, natural power delivery
- Our system’s torque sensor reads the tension that is being applied directly to the chain, and removes unwanted lag time to give an instantaneous and natural response when the power is applied.
- We’ve developed a new torque curve that is designed to gradually apply power that achieves a maximum power of 700W at optimal cadence (85rpm). By having a variable power curve, you’ll have more control of your bike on the trail including scenarios like steep, technical hill starts.
- The Jumbotron is our display screen, seamlessly integrated into the top tube of our new Powerplay bikes. Positioned to show all key data and information in a convenient, easy to see location, the screens can be navigated through using the handlebar remote or the buttons on the Jumbotron itself.
- Designed by us, our new smaller remote has better ergonomics for you as the rider and is focused on keeping the cockpit clean and uncluttered. The smaller design also allows it to be used in combination with more shifter and brake options.
- We’ve increased the capacity of the Powerplay battery from 672Wh to 720Wh, allowing you to spend more time riding.
- Our new Powerplay models feature an easily removable battery. Simply drop the protective cover and battery retention bolt, and it will slide right out of the frame.
- The all-new Powerplay is also compatible with our Overtimepack, which gives you an extra 314Wh of battery capacity on top of the 720Wh of battery capacity in the bike. That means you have a total of 1,034Wh of battery capacity to ride with before needing a charge.
- We have a 4-amp charger and a 2-amp charger for the all-new Powerplay models, both of which quickly refuel your battery to get you back out there, faster. The less powerful of the two, the 2-amp charger, will charge the battery from 0-100% in 7 hours and 35 minutes which out paces the competition.
PRICING AND AVAILABILITY
The Altitude Powerplay and Instinct Powerplay will be available this winter from your local Rocky Mountain dealer. Regional availability may vary.
Altitude Powerplay Carbon 90 Rally Edition: $13,129 CAD / $10,649 USD
Altitude Powerplay Carbon 70: $11,339 CAD / $9,059 USD
Altitude Powerplay Alloy 70: $9,239 CAD / $7,779 USD
Altitude Powerplay Alloy 50: $8,399 CAD / $6,999 USD
Altitude Powerplay Alloy 30 Coil: $7,349 CAD / $5,749 USD
Instinct Powerplay Carbon 90: $14,699 CAD / $12,039 USD
Instinct Powerplay Carbon 70: $11,549 CAD / $9,159 USD
Instinct Powerplay Alloy 70: $8,819 CAD / $7,459 USD
Instinct Powerplay Alloy 50: $7,769 CAD / $6,499 USD
Instinct Powerplay Alloy 30: $6,929 CAD / $5,599 USD
THE ALL-NEW ALTITUDE POWERPLAY AND INSTINCT POWERPLAY
It’s been four years since we introduced our first e-bike, the Altitude Powerplay. From the outset, our goal was to create an electric mountain bike that felt as natural as possible, which we achieved through our in-house designed Dyname 3.0 drive system.
Building on the success of our previous Powerplay models, we’ve completely re-designed the Altitude Powerplay and Instinct Powerplay to continue to push the envelope of high-performance e-bikes. With our next generation Dyname 4.0 drive system, we’ve thoughtfully integrated new features with a rider-focused design. Our Powerplay bikes are firmly positioned at the forefront of e-bike innovation.
ALTITUDE POWERPLAY VS. INSTINCT POWERPLAY: WHAT MAKES THEM DIFFERENT?
While the all-new Altitude Powerplay and Instinct Powerplay share many of the same technologies and frame details, the bikes have different intended use and ride characteristics. The Altitude was designed for aggressive, high speed riding, while the Instinct is meant for long days of exploration and efficient riding.
Designed for: Enduro
Front travel: 170mm, 44mm (FOX) or 42mm (RockShox) offset fork
Rear travel: 160mm
Max tire clearance is 29 x 2.6
Designed for: Trail
Front travel: 150mm, 44mm (FOX) or 42mm (RockShox) offset fork
Rear travel: 140mm
Max tire clearance is 29 x 2.6
We’re always looking for ways to take our bikes to the next level, which leads our engineers to incorporate thoughtful ideas through flawless integration. Added benefits like the ability to control the balance between stability and playfulness, ease of maintenance, and frame durability are just the beginning for these bikes.
10mm chainstay adjustment
- Long = high speed stability
- Short = playfulness
- Dedicated Rocky Mountain 180mm brake mount supplies, no extra parts needed
- New Rocky Mountain hanger
- SRAM UDH compatible in Long mode
RIDE-4 adjustment system
- The RIDE-4 adjustment system allows riders to quickly fine-tune their geometry and suspension with a single Allen key. Four configurations are possible thanks to two small chips.
Secure and internal routing
- Internal cable trays with secure tie downs ensure a rattle free ride while making it easy to run cables and housing.
- Moto style compatible.
Added protection, guards, and chainguide
- Downtube protection, noise cancelling chainstay protection, and downtube shuttle guard.
Modular shock mount
- Allows for future suspension kinematic updates
- Only available on carbon models
Updated tube profile
- Modern look with a focus on front triangle stiffness for steering precision
Dual bearings at the chainstay and seatstay
- Increased stiffness and durability. Shielded bearings featured on all pivots including at the lower shock mount (bearing eyelets compatible with aftermarket shocks as well).
- Dyname 4.0 drive system
- RIDE-4 adjustment system
- Smoothwall Carbon
- FORM Alloy
- Smoothlink suspension
- Size Specific Tune