First Ride: All-New RIP 9 RDO
Niner, founded in 2005, established their brand around building bikes with big wheels long before it was even cool to do so. One could argue that Niner’s passion and commitment to the larger wheel size helped paved the way for the growing popularity of 29er’s today.
The RIP 9 was introduced to Niner’s fleet in 2008 claiming to be a trail bike for every occasion. After rebuilding the company from bankruptcy, Niner launched the all-new RIP 9 RDO in early 2019, with the hopes of revitalizing the brand using their flagship model.
The new RIP 9 RDO received a complete update from frame design and geometry to a list of top notch components. Featuring 140mm of travel and a long, slack and low geometry, the new RIP is the most capable one to date. Additionally, Niner added flip chips allowing riders to adjust bottom bracket height by 7mm and head tube angle by a full degree. Up front the RIP received a 150mm travel fork and a longer reach to enhance high speed stability.
A full review of the 2019 RIP 9 RDO will be featured in an upcoming issue of Mountain Bike Action magazine.
The 9 things you need to know
1. 140mm of stable yet supple CVA suspension with 150mm fork travel.
2. Available in dedicated 29er and 27.5er versions.
3. Longer, lower, and slacker than any Niner ever made.4. Flip chip geometry adjustment for even MORE cowbell.
5. Wider and stiffer Rib Cage main triangle, for precise handling.
6. Durable, long-lasting Enduro Max “Black Oxide” pivot bearings.
7. Clearance for 2.6-inch tires, plus whatever mud they wanna drag along with ‘em.
8. Re ned suspension curve for sensitive early stroke and supportive mid-stroke.
9. End-to-end, Full Sleeve internal cable guides and factory-installed frame protection.
Frame features and construction details
- Rib Cage struts on front triangle add stiffness
- Compact, shortened rear triangle with oversized tubes for increased stiffness
- Extra wide seat tube rocker link pivot with double-width bearings for torsional rigidity
- Sag indicator on the rocker link pivot
- Enduro MAX Black Oxide pivot bearings for extreme durability
- Massive clearance for 2.6” tires and muddy conditions
- Factory installed scuff guards and frame protection in key locations
- Full Sleeve internal cable routing from front to back – no shing required
- Fox Live-valve ready
- Water bottle mount inside the main frame
- 73mm threaded bottom bracket with ISCG 05 chain guide mounts
- Adjustable high/low geometry via ip chips in the seat stay pivots.
- Slacker head tube angle: 66 degrees (high mode)/65 degrees (low mode)
- Steeper seat tube angle: 75.8 degrees (high mode)/75.2 degrees (low mode)
- Longer reach
- Shortened seat tube by 20mm to accommodate longer, 170mm dropper posts.
- 20mm lower standover height across all sizes
- Lower stack height and shortened head tube to accommodate a wide t range and riser bars.
- Short, 435mm chainstays (29er).
Follow Mountain Bike Action: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX_p…
Mountain Bike Action Website: http://www.mbaction.com/Main/Home.aspx
Mountain Bike Action Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mounta…
Mountain Bike Action Twitter: https://twitter.com/mbaction
Subscribe to Mountain Bike Action: https://hi-torque.com/product/mountai…