Rocky Mountain Launches New Thunderbolt
The Thunderbolt is our vision of a perfect XC-trail bike.
—With the Thunderbolt we’ve designed an all-new carbon frame that pushes the rear travel to 130mm, increases sti ness, lowers the rate curve slightly, and gives the frame a host of next- generation features—but keeps its playful geometry and wide range of RIDE-9TM adjustments. The Thunderbolt is at home on technical climbs, powering through rough stu , and popping o every trail feature you lay eyes on.
Improved suspension performance
We’ve attened out the rate curve to directly increase the amount of usable travel, while maintaining mid-stroke support and making small-bump performance even more sensitive. Higher anti-squat values dramatically improve pedaling effciency.
Next generation features
Comprehensive evolutionary updates across the platform include features like tooled axles, single- sided bearing pivots, integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, and metric shock compatibility.
Our RIDE-9TM system provides a wide range of geometry and suspension adjustability; it has been moved into the link for lighter, narrower packaging.
To add control and descending capability, we’ve increased reach, slackened the headtube angle, and lowered the bottom bracket. We’ve slightly lengthened the chainstays to improve climbing traction and used a moderately steep seat tube for further climbing performance.
- Increased anti-squat for better pedaling e ciency
- Size Speci c Tune ensures that riders of all sizes get the appropriate rear shock tune. Our design team creates custom shock tunes base on eld testing feedback, and adjust the tune of each shock for speci c frame sizes
- 27.5 Wide Trail and 26+ compatible
- Max tire clearance is 27.5 x 2.5 and 26 x 2.8 (3.0 with low pro le knobs)
- Bearings at all pivots, including at the lower shock mount (still compatible with aftermarket shocks)
- Blind pivots maximize rider heel clearance at the chainstay
- Lighter, tooled rear axle, with an updated axle nut for a more intuitive assembly
- Future-proofed to be compatible with Di2, Fox Live, and a dropper post simultaneously
- Seat tube lengths have been adjusted to accommodate longer dropper posts at maximum insertion.
- Improved cable management including large head tube and down tube access ports, full-length shift housing, and internally routed shift housing and brake
lines the front triangle housing
- Chainstay and downtube protectors.
- Integrated “Spirit Guide” chainguide, with 2-bolt ISCG05
- BC Edition uses a longer stroke shock to yield 140mm of travel
- 1x optimized design with wider main pivot
- Lower standover height
- Signi cantly sti er thanks to one-piece seat stays, new envelope, and updated layup.
• Modern parts compatibility (boost spacing, metric shock lengths, post-mount 180mm brakes, etc.)
• All sizes t a water bottle in the front triangle with any reservoir shock currently on the market
• Sizes: XS-XL
– Frame & shock: 2.30kg (5.06lbs), size Medium – Protectors, chainguide, & axle: 260g (0.57lb) – Complete frameset: 2.56kg (5.63lbs)
– Thunderbolt Carbon 90 BC frameset: 2.56kg (5.63lbs), size Medium
– Thunderbolt Carbon 90 BC: 12.57kg (27.7lbs), size Large
– Thunderbolt Carbon 70: 11.80kg (26.0lbs), size Large
– Thunderbolt Carbon 50: 12.26kg (27.0lbs), size Large
– Thunderbolt Carbon 30: 12.34kg (27.4lbs), size Large