Robin Goomes, suicide no-hander. Photo by Emily Tidwell/Red Bull Content Pool
Check out the video of the best moments from the Red Bull Formation with all the top sends. Click: HERE.
Twelve of the best women’s mountain bike freeriders spent last week pushing new boundaries in Southwest Utah as the third Red Bull Formation event saw “spectacular” progression as the likes of Hannah Bergemann and Camila Nogueira helped elevate the sport further and New Zealand’s Robin Goomes threw the first-ever backflip at the event. Here is all you need to know:
– After the first two events advanced the sport to exciting new levels in the women’s arena, the third event saw 12 of the planet’s best female riders chosen by judges to carve out thrilling new lines in Utah.
– From May 8-15, Bergemann, Nogueira, Goomes, Casey Brown, Chelsea Kimball, Georgia Astle, Harriet Burbidge-Smith, Louise Ferguson, Sam Soriano, Vaea Verbeeck, Vinny Armstrong, and Vero Sandler dug out brave lines down the dusty course before freeriding down the mountain.
– There were three dig days, one rest day – where they found community in each other and industry mentors – and three ride days, where the mountain was host to the gnarliest ever women’s MTB freeriding.
– Founding organizer Katie Holden revealed: “The progression witnessed was spectacular and truly marks a turning point for women’s freeride mountain biking. We have seen a tremendous amount of confidence from the riders. From tackling steep drops to choosing lines that played to their styles and incorporating tricks, we hit a major milestone.”
– Following the final runs, athletes voted on the rider who ignited the sessions and “brought the spice” to the progression session with Argentina’s Camila Nogueira receiving a trophy to mark the accolade.
Camila Nogueira is awarded the Spiciest Line Award presented by Industry Nine. Photo by Robin O’Neill / Red Bull Content Pool
– She enthused: “Winning this award is the perfect end to an epic event. My goal was to challenge myself with a daring line, one that would challenge my courage due to its exposure and where I would need to stay calm under pressure. I truly believe everyone riding today deserved this honor as they are my friends who continue to push and inspire me.”
– Kiwi Goomes’ historic backflip line started at the top Scissor Drop and then ran through looker’s right to end in the Snake Pit, the lower portion of the course that has a series of jumps and features.
– Other highlights from the event included Bergemann and Nogueira tackling a highly technical entrance off the top of the mountain that fed into a series of large, exposed drops while rookie rider Ferguson had the full authority of her line for her first time on the challenging terrain. Check out the video of the best moments with all the top sends HERE.